Turkish Movie Days will be organized for the sixth time in Katajanokka, Helsinki on 1.–3.12 .2017. The three-day festival organized at Kino K13 movie theatre is free for audiences and aims to introduce the not-so-familiar Turkish movies to movie lovers in Finland. In addition to “Winter Sleep”, the festival program includes recently released movies “My Sweetie” and “Red Istanbul”, along with “Maze” and the olden goldie “The Broken Landlord”, which was voted by fans on social media. All screenings are free of charge and the subtitles are in English.
18:15 – 21:15 Kış Uykusu (Winter Sleep)
16:00 – 18:00 Labirent (Maze)
18:30 – 20:15 Tatlım Tatlım (My Sweety)
16:00 – 18:00 Züğürt Ağa (The Broken Landlord)
18:30 – 20:15 İstanbul Kırmızısı (Red İstanbul)
More information about Turkish Movie Days 2017 movies
- Winter Sleep (KIŞ UYKUSU, 2014) is a universally acclaimed drama film set in Cappadocia, Central Anatolia, where Aydin, his young wife Nihal and his sister Necla run a small hotel. As snowfall signals the beginning of winter, Aydin, a former actor, starts to break character. Immersed in a stormy relationship with his wife and required to support his recently-divorced sister, Aydin must rediscover the man he is expected to be. The film won the Palme d’Or and theInternational Federation of Film Critics Award at the 2014 Cannes Festival.
Director: Nuri Bilge Ceylan, writers: Nuri Bilge Ceylan and Ebru Ceylan
- Maze (LABIRENT, 2011) is an action-packed thriller of a Turkish intel team dealing with a severe terrorist threat. A terrorist group is seeking to carry out attacks in Istanbul – a scenario which strips the sense of safety from everyone involved. Amidst the tearing uncertainty and fear, counter-terrorism officers must make nerve-wrecking decisions on the spot – even if it means making larger-than-life sacrifices.
Director and writer: Tolga Örnek
- My Sweetie (TATLIM TATLIM, 2017) is a comedy film about four couples trying to evade the obstacles of relationships. Where to eat tonight? How to seamlessly integrate two vastly different families? How to maintain the flicker of romance in every-day life? The themes of the story revolve around the ease of lightning-stricken love and the controversies that might follow thereafter. A hilarious depiction of 21st century dating between adults.
Director and writer: Yilmaz Erdogan
- Red İstanbul (İSTANBUL KIRMIZISI, 2017) is a movie about nostalgia surrounding the ever-changing city. The plot features Orhan, a writer, who after 20 years away returns to Istanbul at the invitation of his colleague, Deniz, who seeks for critic for his book in the making. However, the day Orhan arrives, Deniz mysteriously disappears. Orhan is left to trace Deniz, reliving old memories and facing their repercussions in the process. New, thrilling memories are also born, as he gets reacquainted with his former home.
Director: Ferzan Ozpetek, writers: Ferzan Ozpetek and Gianni Romoli
- The Broken Landlord (ZÜĞÜRT AĞA, 1985), a film by director Nesli Colgecen, was voted to be the olden goldie movie of the festival on the Facebook site of Turkki.fi. It is a comedy about a landlord, who is faced with adversity. Living in a village in Eastern Turkey, the landlord falls victim to a long drought and, consequently, crop-stealing peasants. He is forced to sell his lands in the village and move to Istanbul with his family. Life in the big city lights, however, proves to be much harder than before.
The festival is organized by The Embassy of the Republic of Turkey, The Counsellor office for Cultural Affairs and Promotion which promotes Turkey as a travel destination in Finland. The language of the movies is Turkish but they are subtitled in English.